Thursday, November 27, 2014

N'cha, Happy Thanksgiving Special (or an introduction to Dr. Slump...)

Duck Nukem: Dear Diary... I'm So freaking done with Anonymous Yoshi putting me In a Kirby Box for Halloween This Year, and I'm Planning to be the Pillsbury Doughboy next year, just have to get naked, get Yoshiette's Chef's hat, Bill to Mouth Surgery, and a White Scarf. And after that I'll blow up the earth that has sent me Zero thank you's and continuously humiliated me, then I'll return to my Planet and be recongnized as a hero... Sincerly, The one team member who constantly get's on my friend's Nerves...

*Tears up page from book*

Yo... Yoshiette 1, Come and dig this dod derned letter so we can read it on halloween...

Yoshiette 1: It'll get dirty, so just put it in this Mountain Dew Bottle and send it to the sea...

Kapp'n: Oh castaways, How I love theee...... Oh what's this....

"Dear Diary.... Kirby box.... Pillsbury.... Naked... Sugery... Blow up the... EARTH!!!!!!" I've got to report this sociopath to the cops!!!!



Meanwhile back at SimCity...


So... What is Dr. Slump? It's a manga by Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama..., It was serrialized in Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan. It's about a robot Girl named Arale Norimaki... I referenced it a couple times on my blog because the original design for Yoshiette 1 was based of of MarzGurl (I referenced her, Come at me, I had to), who had Purple Dyed Hair at the time... And Arale had Purple Hair, So the reference only fit...  I still used References to Arale even after I left the MarzFandom due to circumstances beyond my control... What's the Manga about? Well...


Arale was invented my Scientist Dr. Senbei Norimaki to have a daughter... The story takes place in Penguin Village, And lots of hillarious hijinx ensue... It's kind of like early Dragonball but wit more of a Sitcom feel... Arale Meets new friends along he way like the gatchan, Friends at School, and more... It has a lot of one off stories and Story arcs that only last 2 or 3 chapters... but as the series progressed, It had better story arcs and a central villain. It get's more serious as the series goes on, but still has a light hearted tone. It's an overall cute story and worth a read when you've got time... It even had a crossover with Dragon Ball, which a lot of people like to forget about...


Arale is a groundbrreaking protagonist for Shonen manga in the fact that she wasn't the testosterone fueled hero that we've seen in Goku or Kenshiro or Kinnikuman. and she's female, Obviously... Shojo manga have Girl characters and usually don't deviate from it... Shonen manga does have females but they aren't usually treated with respect like shojo manga,so that pisses of feminists, and not just the bad ones... I'll explain this in a later blog, but shonen manga can be separated in to ages... before the late 1960s were the beginning, the late 60s and most of the 70s were the Golden age... the rest of the 70s to about the time Dragon Ball ended was the silver age, and the rest of the 90s to basically now are the bronze age Dr. Slump was a big manga during the 80s... So much s it created a TV Series... Which adapted a lot of the Manga... it ended with a preview of the Dragon Ball series, then Dragon Ball, Z, and GT, went on and in 1997, Dr. Slump Returned with less filler, a new art style. DR Slump showed that women can be respected in Shonen Manga and Anime.


Arale was like a boy character in shonen manga, but she was portayed as a little girl... She grew up... Then her biggest challenge came when she battled Dr. Mashirito, based off of toriyama's edotor at the time Kazuhiko Torishima, and hist son Obotchaman, who she fell in love with. The series had parody, action, comedy, heart, and drama... it's a very different shonen anime, so look for it if you're curious... It was recently localized by Viz, but you might not find it that easily anymore.


The anime was so successful Toriyama thought it couldn't be topped, but He released Dragon Ball after the Manga was finished and he rest is history...


Bye'cha....

No comments:

Post a Comment