Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Goodbye Drive, Hello Ghost...


Yeah, we'll get to the Kamen Rider stuff, but I want to quickly touch on the Juohger reveal, which can be summed up in one 6 word sentence, "So yeah, That was a thing" Be honest, the helmets look alright, but what kills the suit for me is the rest of it. The torso looks like something you can get at the Hot Topic or Rainforest Cafe. I don't want these douches to save the world for an entire year and based on the mech designs, it looks like we're getting another Comedy Sentai. Ninninger was the right idea, but not quite there. The mech looks like a freaking Lego robot, and I don't just mean those cool space sets, I mean it looks like a robot you could built with Legos you can buy in a tub from a big box store.  The folding robots worked for Shinkenger, but they look like crap here. As of now the role play weapons haven't been revealed, but if they look as ass as the mechs and suits do, I almost wish we got Space Bugs for the 2016-2017 season. I wrote a blog for how a space bugs season would go. Who knows maybe the season will rock my socks off, but so far I'm not impressed...



Kamen Rider Drive's over, and it was a fun ride. It's a better beginner series than Gaim, but I enjoyed Gaim more. Mach is goofy to start off with, but I do like the idea of Drive sharing a super form with Mach, and he gets more serious as the series goes on. Chase/Kamen Rider Chaser is the none who steals the show, but he's like Venom (of Spiderman), and Broly (of DBZ). He's got great action, but falls into an emo/action oriented character.The story has a more consistent drive into darkness tone than Gaim has. The series has got elements of Dekaranger, W, and Guyver storywise. Shinnouske/Drive is a very everyman rider, middle class, and can be Goofy at times. Most of my stuff I said over a year ago still stands, but the finale is where things start getting twisted, with characters betraying others and even dying. Overall, Kamen Rider Drive was fun, but there's better Rider series out there...


Kamen Rider Ghost can be summed up in one picture so far...




Need I say more? Oh and there's eye's and hoodies as motifs, Yeah......


Well that was fun, Let's hope next year's Kamen Rider redeems the franchi... Ok, I'll elaborate. There's not much to like about the series so far. the hoodies, eye, and legendary hero motif's don't mix well, the monsters look like 3rd rate Sentai monsters, and the hero is a ripoff of Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho, not a complete ripoff, but he has blatant elements with him. Kamen Rider Spectre is a ripoff of Chase. It's turning out to be very comedic, but I just want a half way point tonal shift. The upcoming fighting spirit soul looks like his Ore form with red paint and flame accents. But I have to give credit where it's due. the driver's look nice and inserting eyecons reminds me of, famikame... yeah. even necrom Looks cool for what it's worth from concept art and his driver looks interesting with green accents and an eyedrop motif. So Kamen Rider Ghost has a weak start but I just want it to get better.


Stay tuned next year around this same time when we do this same song and dance again...




DISCLAIMER:
I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST COMEDIC TOKUSATSU, I JUST WISH IT WASN'T THE RULE RATHER THAN THE EXCEPTION LIKE IT WAS IN THE 80s AND 90s!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment