Saturday, October 29, 2016

Gaming Bits: Flash/Shockwave games from my childhood (GB Topic Buffet Vol. 1)...

Sooooooooo, How 'bout that NX Reveal (which is now named Switch (a better name than Wii U Indeed)? It was... Interesting, we don't know it's full lineup for the first year, or the price, or an exact release date... But look at all the 3rd parties on board, you can play it as a console or a handheld, and a chip by NVidia, but yeah color me hopeful, not exactly on board yet, but hopeful....



Before we get into the meat and potatoes of the blog, lets talk history and a little explanation...


I gave several games and crap I want to to for a gaming bit segment, some of which can't sustain a whole segment, Games like Shogo Mobile Armor Division. I want to talk about that someday, but there's not enough info on it for a whole segment. I'm going to do a lot more of these Topic Buffets like this.



Now time for some web 1.0/shockwave/flash history. back when I was 5, 6, 7 everyone still used AOL, and we had browsers such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, and a nostalgic favorite excite@Home... Websites could hardly handle pong on a 56k Modem. Maybe someday I'll discuss my fascination with Geocities and fansites. but Shokwave was a powerful platform for games, Originally released by macromedia in the 80s but didn't get wide use until 1995. Websites started using it like crazy, so let's take a look at a few of these games...



First off is Nabisco/Wrigley candystand Mini Golf, It was mini golf with snack food themes. It had creative courses, updated with new and discontinued products.I had fun looking at every nook and cranny of each course The graphics were 90s cool. I believe they still have these games, so go try 'em out.



There was thisPrince if Persia style game (Controlled by the mouse) where you found treasure on a deserted island using lifesavers candy. i never beat it, It always kicked my ass, so if anyone wants to do my job for me, here's a link...You're probably better than me. Send me a video of you completing it and I'll do a blog or episode of the A. Yoshi show of your choice. Still I love treasure hunting adventure fiction, heck there was an Oreo version...



Nabisco had this space flying game I really sucked at. I did okay for the first couple levels, but I can't get to the end. Those suns or whatever they were were a bitch.



I actually remember this site called Coffee Break Arcade (which I'm Not sure is still a thing), It's how a discovered popcap games, A fishing game where you had to get certain fish to fill your hunger meter within the given time, It was by Rotten Tomatoes, and I enjoyed seeing the various death animations for the game... Heck I enjoyed fishing for the deep sea diver then eating him... There was also ant city, which was more of a toy than anything, You could destroy a small city with a magnifying glass.


Other Kids sites I enjoyed were cartoon network, Disney, and Nickelodeon. Cartoon networks games I don't remember many of them, but There was this Codename Kids Next Door game that was like a platformer, It had varied boss fights.Disney had some decent games I don't remember, but I had fun with the ToonTown demo, which I never got to experience the full game before it closed down, I also liked Virtual Magical Kingdom, which my PC was to wimpy to run not Glitch-ly. Nick was where most of my gaming memories on IE come from. There was several games like 3D spongebob games, 3D Jimmy Neutron flying games. and WTF Toy games where you click on crap, and stuff happened. Special mention goes to the game where you give trick or treat kids candy and if you give them black licorice they turn evil, because it's Halloween!!!!!


Lastly let's take a look at some Lego games, there was Junkbot (a Lemmings clone (some of which I remember fondly despite not having mentioning them), and a few lego adventure games (like a bionicle point and clicker which was awesome). But I have so much fond memories of the studio backlot game with 3D graphics and platforming elements...



There's still one site I forgot to mention, Neopets, but that's going to need it's own series on of it's self... So yeah those were browser games from my childhood. Yeah web 1.0 days were he best... I hope I sparked some nostalgia in you...



NEXT TIME:


Fingers crossed I can dedicate a whole Segment to this...

No comments:

Post a Comment