Sunday, May 26, 2013

Toonami, 1 year later...

So this blog might earn me more than a few enemies, but let's provide some introduction. If you grew up any time between 1997 and 2008, you probably remember Toonami in it's first incarnation. For those who don't know the history of it, let me explain, Toonami started out as a simple action block on Cartoon Network, but  evolved into more than just a few bumpers on a standard 4-6 timeslot, It had anime, new cartoons, old cartoons, story arcs, events, contests, and all that went away when someone who will now and forever be named TOM 0 and his abuse of Naruto fillers got the block removed. Was that the main cause of the low ratings in 2007-2008? Maybe, but Let's get real here, Toonami was brought back in April Fool's Day 2012, #BringBackToonami Started, it went on for a couple months, and in May 26th of last year, Toonami returned, but was it worth it? Find out today...



Before we begin let me address something, I'm not going to hate on Toonami, but I will be giving it some STRONG Criticism, so hear me out on this one, even if you thought I was hating on it, you already clicked on the post so you might as well at least read it. With that thing out of the way, 3, 2, 1, GOOOOOOO!!!!!!


I had High hopes for Toonami when the block was revived as a late night block (I still kind of do), but The block has lot's of mistakes, let me explain some of them to you.


1. The show selection, yeah I know the block's still young, and we're not getting Dragon Ball in any interpretation, but that doesn't give Williams Street an excuse to show anime that was critically panned (like Tenchi Muyo GXP), or boring Shonen Anime (like Bleach and Naruto). I still have hopes that it'll improve but this is a simple fix, get these anime...



Seriously Adult Swim, Think about it, I Know Soul Eater, One Piece, Symbiotic Titan IGPX, Thundercats, and Maybe even the Upcoming Sword Art Online are better than most of the shows on the block, but that doesn't change the fact that Soul Eater is not Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece is not DBZ, Symbiotic Titan is not Gundam, Thundercats 2011 is not Thundercats 1980s, And Sword Art Online is not .Hack. Better than this or that is not always good enough. I'm sorry But I really liked Casshern Sins and Deadman Wonderland. Also Why is IGPX at 1 in the morning, and Thundercats & Symbiotic Titan are airing so late and it's currently in a loop, which brings me to...


2. Why are so many of the good shows on so late at night, Adult Swim has the right Idea to put the shows everyone seen in a Endless loop late at night, Though I liked it better when Toonami had those shows on the second half of the first run of the block, but Longer block, what are you going to do , but why is all the good stuff like IGPX, Eureka 7 (Which still Isn't Gundam), Thundercats, and Symbiotic Titan, one at 1 or 2 in the morning while we have to go through an Hour of Boring Shonen anime, followed by less boring enough to pass shonen anime. I know we can't get DBZ or Gundam, but we can at least get similar anime, YuYu Hakusho and Gurren Lagann anyone, and I know you have plans to get that new Sailor Moon anime, just got to wait another year. This is also an easy fix, Extend the lineup an hour or two. Here's how using the current roster...

9:00 CST: Bleach
9:30 CST: Naruto
10:00 CST: One Piece
10:30 CST: Soul Eater
11:00 CST: IGPX
11:30 CST: Eureka 7
12:00 CST: Thundercats
12:30 CST: Symbiotic Titan
1:00 CST: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
1:30 CST Cowboy Bebob
2:00 CST: Inyuasha (1 hour)
Rest of the line up: Whatever.

I pray that they don't use that extra hour or two to show more Bleach or Naruto in the beginning

3. More of a nitpick depending on how you look at it, but It really hasn't used some things that had potential. Like this clip of TOM 3.5 and TOM 0:



This had potential for good story, but Williams Street really wasted it. So far that's the only thing they wasted, but I just have a bad feeling that they're going to waste more crap just because they can, all I can suggest is If you are going to do something, DO IT!!!!!


So to conclude this I'm going to say this is not going to be the same as 2000, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try, I haven't lost faith in the block just yet, but Please take the suggestions and use them. As for the community, share this blog, spread the word. send this to @Clarknova1 @blumspew @adultswim and @swimtoonami on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment